Age of History 3
Marerjh

MESSAGE TO ŁUKASZ: easily fixable bugs should be fixed (hopefully?)

Posted (edited)

Recently, Lukasz released an update for Age of History II that fixed critical bugs related to saves and achievements. I'm very grateful that the developer continues to improve the game even as he work on the next title, but I have a request.

Age of History II contains bugs that significantly ruin the gameplay, but can actually be easily fixed. They are caused by minor bugs in the game code or developer inattention. If they are fixed, the game will become much more polished and challenging. Fixing these errors is not difficult (even I was able to do it in just a few hours by decompiling and compiling classes).

So, these are simple errors that require changing just one line of code:

• A broken golden age of military. As far as I remember, one variable or method in corresponding class is missnamed, so golden age of military never happens.
  • Diplomacy points can have a negative value. This is especially noticeable in the early game eras, where civilizations with one province, having diplomatic ties (friendship/alliance, etc.) immediately lose points and will never be able to take diplomatic actions again. The problem is solved by limiting their minimum number to 0.2 (the cost of sending an insult).
  • When forming a coalition, civilizations check the list of enemies of their target, ignoring the fact that they themselves belong to this list. Thus, they take their budget into account twice.
  • When creating a coalition, bots can invite civilizations that are already involved in a war. However, a civilization at war will never accept an invitation to join a coalition, but bot thinks it will participate, resulting in declaring war on much stronger enemy.
  • [Scenario editor] If you create a core with the population of another civilization, and the province borders on that civilization, the province will lose the amount of population that corresponds to the share of the population of this other civilization.
  • When calculating the willingness to accept a diplomatic offer of vassalization, a mistake was made with the comparison sign. Thus, the recipient wants the civilization offering vassalization to have a budget 15 times smaller than its own.
  • The cost of some buildings in provinces with high development (over 1) becomes negative. If you build them, your treasury will increase. This is especially noticeable in the case of Armory.
  • Months in the calendar are messed up
  • Bots invest in the economy of a province, even when it obviously will not lead to an increase in income from production, but will increase administrative costs. Bots can easily calculate the maximum number of economic points in a province by multiplying the population by some modifiers used in the calculation of production income. So why not do it?
  • Everyone knows about the bug with guaranteed acceptance of a war's trade offer. I think it will be enough to add a condition that the amount of gold should be equal to the income of the target civilization multiplied by 20 (this is the number of turns that the civilization should theoretically spend on military operations), and the civilization itself considers the civilization that is declared war to be hostile.
  • Legendary difficulty doesn't modifiy movement points, while it obviously should
  • Civilizations with more than 3 provinces cannot form alliances. This seems to be done intentionally, but there is no reason for this, and if this restriction is removed, then civilizations will create absolutely normal alliances.

These are minor mistakes that do not require redesigning algorithms or anything like that. Let's make Lukasz to notice them, because such minor fixes will make the game much better. @Łukasz Jakowski

Edited by Marerjh

7 hours ago, Marerjh said:

Also, created a Trello board that will work as a database. If Łukasz doesn't fix any of the bugs, the players will sooner or later fix them themselves.😄Screenshot_20240618_214603_Trello.thumb.jpg.57a9e9c142da52cc813cc4ba2cf59dde.jpg

this trello board is very cool
can i borrow it? i want to try and fix these bugs in the modloader im coding

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, flafmg said:

ця дошка trello дуже крута,
я можу її позичити? Я хочу спробувати виправити ці помилки в завантажувачі модів

Yes, sure. It's public, just click on the underlined text🙂 I'll work on providing additional info about each bug, including reason and related Java classes. Please let me know if board isn't accessible.

Link

Edited by Marerjh

Just now, Marerjh said:

Yes, sure. It's public, just click on the underlined text🙂 I'll work on providing additional info about each bug, including reason and related Java classes

Please ensure the link is accessible for everyone. Looking forward to the detailed bug explanations and Java class references.