Age of History 3
Rodak Polak

Vassals, colonies, regions and annexation

Posted (edited)

In one of the videos on YT you can see that the problem of colonies is solved better than in AoH 2. However, it still seems to have some drawbacks (but maybe it works differently than I think): if Spain has colonies in America, it can still colonize provinces and they will become provinces of Spain, and not provinces of colonies. Therefore, even if at the beginning of the scenario Spain has colonies in America and not its own provinces (and that's good), as the game progresses, subsequent colonized provinces will become part of Spain (this is not how it should work). My solution (using the example of Spain):

• if a country wants to colonize, it must have the colonial act enabled,
  • if the colonial act is activated, all conquered provinces will become vassals of Spain and will not be incorporated into Spain (e.g. Spain declared war on France with the colonial act activated, so when it wins the war and gains, for example, 30 provinces, these provinces will not will be incorporated into Spain, they will only become part of France which is a vassal of Spain (Spanish France) - the note "Spanish" is not necessary, it is enough that part of France will have the color of Spain and France will lose any control over them)
  • when Spanish France terminates its allegiance to Spain, it will not become an independent country but will automatically be incorporated back into France
  • when it comes to colonization, each continent should be divided into regions (for example, Africa into: North Africa, Sakharian Africa, East Africa, West Africa, Central Africa, South Africa and Madagascar). This will make colonization easier - each colonized province becomes a colony/vassal of the colonizer. For example, if Spain starts colonizing South Africa, the provinces colonized in this region will become South Africa (or Spanish South Africa, it doesn't matter. What is important is that it becomes a vassal of Spain and has the color of Spain. The name can only be the name of the colonized region).
  • if a country wants to annex some provinces directly to itself during a war, it must disable the colonial act
  • turning the colonial act off and on should be possible only every 50 years (as with any law, so that it doesn't happen that you can change it whenever you want. Within one group of laws, changes can only be introduced every 50 years)
  • IT IS VERY IMPORTANT to introduce a mechanism that if someone attacks a vassal country, it cannot be incorporated, only this vassal only changes its owner (that the conquered colony would continue to be a colony, but under a different rule)
  • only independent states can be incorporated

How to absorb a vassal if there is no ultimatum option in the game? My idea:

• by creating our cores in the vassal territory (if we can invest and build buildings in the vassal's provinces, I think it is possible to introduce the option of coring the vassal's provinces as our provinces)
  • creating core of incorporated provinces, captured in war, without a colonial act should last 50 years, while creating core in a vassal province should take 10 times longer = 500 years
  • Cored vassal province by us becomes our province

What do you think @Łukasz Jakowski?

I rarely contribute because I have little time 😕

Edited by Rodak Polak