Age of History 3
Wayne23lololh

Modern warfare (Remake)

Posted (edited)

The topic is a remake.

Hello everyone,

This is a repost and the original is deleted, because the original is deleted due to the lack of space. The start is the same, it could be tiring to read again.

I propose (with qxz's observation) to make units in the tech tree starting from the 1910's will move differently. The mechanic for earlier units would still be enabled, showing a technological gap between civilizations with early warfare and civilizations with modern warfare.

The modern war mechanic would make units not be able to cross more than one unoccupied province at once. It needs to make a series of sieges to advance. This would still keep the fact that a successful siege will make the country occupy adjacent provinces.

The scenario to express it is the German invasion of the Benelux. 

Slide15.thumb.jpg.881a92caf19e0f1be005d1c18c9219ca.jpg

Firstly, units should move until 2 provinces at once (could be changed). Like a planned invasion, these following provinces are shown with a lighter color.

Slide2.thumb.jpg.fd7aa13333f58ac377dd06b3a6ef1ebe.jpg

These green provinces are selected to move each unit.

Slide3.thumb.jpg.33db38b21689792d71138895d9aef554.jpg

Here's the fist wave of the German invasion. War tactics would intervene, German units would use attack because it moves to the foe land, Beneluxian units would use defense, It stays in their land. AI must take this logic.

Slide4.thumb.jpg.3876ea90407f1350f09b2179de587978.jpg

The result of the first German wave is victories on their side. Belgian and Dutch units could retreat, because it still has land, but Luxembourgish units have no other choice than exile in a friendly neighboring country (+40) or sign a truce. If Luxembourg doesn't have any friendly neighboring countries, it doesn't have the choice to sign a truce. Here it is in exile in France. (I forget that it didn't border France at that time, but it's too late).

Slide5.thumb.jpg.9da87ed0cbef8b053984b4b958aa372e.jpg

When a division loses a battle or if it is in an occupied province because the aggressor made a successful siege (it could be renamed t, it must retreat to the closest still unoccupied province, or make a siege on the newly occupied provinces would be unlikely for to do this because don't forget that the division is weakened.

Maybe a trigger for it needs to be created, like "units in the occupied land" and an outcome "units retreat until it crosses an unoccupied province" or "siege the occupied province". The first one should be the better solution.

Here, the general of each unit would be represented, instead of the leader. Maybe starting in the 20th century at the same time as modern warfare, where generals are more recognized ( if I'm not mistaken). Here's Germany who won the battle of Emmen.

Slide7.thumb.jpg.e15c99fbfb3ad404bca1691b8a476dbb.jpg

Now the second wave of the invasion will happen, there is no need to repeat (too lazy) :

Slide6.thumb.jpg.65eeb21e8a0a15fc0f61a4ddd2ec1a94.jpg

when a province is cut from the mainland. It will happen when the division is in a province(s) separated from the rest of the country (which the capital locates).

Slide8.thumb.jpg.0fb6a11dbe5c7fd75884c02d03edbb36.jpg

Slide9.thumb.jpg.381948ba27ef11481c6f4d47b97c3560.jpg

Slide10.thumb.jpg.91c8fce8a0c4ae2f896a697aae36368d.jpg

Slide12.thumb.jpg.02319ec289edbb944ad685cf76e4d3c8.jpg

The only option for the Belgian unit is to evacuate to the sea (like in Dunkirk in WW2). 

Slide11.thumb.jpg.37cd55037833194919402b95993b7343.jpg

Slide13.thumb.jpg.c1dfe13eedf3b7799f01b99ef4834247.jpg

And then there is the peace treaty, you know how it should be.

Thank you for reading, and if you have any comments to do, I would like to see them !

Edited by Wayne23lololh
Remake

It's a good idea, but moving one province at a time looks too forced and unreasonable. I suggest this. In Civilization V, your units that are on a square that is adjacent to an enemy unit lose all movement points if they try to move to another square that is also adjacent to an enemy unit. 

A similar mechanic can be added to Age of History III. Once you are in a province that is adjacent to an enemy unit, you lose the ability to move to another adjacent province. Thus, you will have a choice - either attack, defend, or retreat.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Marerjh said:

It's a good idea, but moving one province at a time looks too forced and unreasonable. I suggest this. In Civilization V, your units that are on a square that is adjacent to an enemy unit lose all movement points if they try to move to another square that is also adjacent to an enemy unit. 

A similar mechanic can be added to Age of History III. Once you are in a province that is adjacent to an enemy unit, you lose the ability to move to another adjacent province. Thus, you will have a choice - either attack, defend, or retreat.

Thank you, I will take that in note !

I think that add a province limit to cross would be good too

Edited by Wayne23lololh