Age of History 3
Wayne23lololh

Personal Union and Dynasties

Hello, 

Before I start, I announce credits to @Das Moss Man for his topic Royal houses and intermarriage. Today, I'm gonna introduce the idea of personal union and dynasties/houses.

Personal Union

This time, it would be more utilized than just a type of subject in which two kingdoms have the same king.  A personal union is a relationship between two or more political entities that are considered separate sovereign states, they will have separate councils, however the head of state is the same. In law, it is not a real union of territories. 

How to establish a personal union

There will be for now two options to create a personal union. The first option is when the targeted country's leader dies, the other country would declare war to crown its leader in the targeted country to become a personal union.

The second one is to make a demand when the leader of the targeted country dies. The country needs to be informed when the leader dies, a pop up can appear with something like the "name of leader" dies in "civilization".

Advantages and Disadvantages

The lord has the ability to merge the personal union into the lord country around 50 years after its creation, by disbanding its council. The lord benefits from the personal union prestige bonus and the ability to choose the level of tribute and manpower, except that the lord can mobilize the army in personal union's land (option).

When the leader dies, the personal union can break up, related with the liberty desire, if it is more than, let's say 80%.

Dynasty and House

Now I have a simplified idea of dynasties. A dynasty is a succession of a line of hereditary rulers of one or several countries. A dynasty could be common in several countries by royal marriage. I won't deepen royal marriages in this since it will complexity a lot the game for not a really big thing. It will focus only on rulers.

Houses (or family, clan)

Each dynasty could be in a "house". Some dynasties belong to the same house. For example the Valois, the Orleans and the Bourbons are different dynasties but belong to the same house, the Bourbons.

It can be hard and long to do this for all countries, so I propose that the community could help Łukasz Jakowski for this, by distributing each dynasty. 

Examples:  The House of Habsburg : Every Year don't mind the territorial evolution.

How to add it

To implement this, it needs predefined line tabs, which ancestors and heirs for each dynasty. 

Each leader has a birth date and a death date. The death date could vary from 2 to 5 years, for more diversity. Or the death date should be the same, up to you.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(This will work for every type of government.)

Slide1.thumb.jpg.7641494676abd8a64bc95a152aa516a0.jpg

Some events can be lanced after a leader's death. 

Slide2.thumb.jpg.82a17f921e4f351fa29eb87729ff712f.jpg

Each leader's death will bring a risk of rebellion, increasing it by 5 to 10%. This can be worse with other significant factors such as stability, aggressive expansion, war weariness, etc...

Ancestor and Heirs 

Events don't have any effect on dynasties. The Dynasty lines won't take this problem until the dynasty ends. Example: French monarchy won't count Napoleon Bonaparte. There should even be potential monarchs, like the successor of the Hohenzollern dynasty, for a modern German empire scenario for example.

Houses map mode

Republics will be gray.

image.thumb.png.09a3353a536b2c5a2f59c6db962603e8.png

Dynasty tab

There would be a dynasty tab where all current rulers from a house are shown. 

Slide2.thumb.jpg.597051825e7503f5ad80105138ca93ef.jpg

Slide1.thumb.jpg.21563c046508a8a32361149791fec2c4.jpg

Slide3.thumb.jpg.7e8b9cdcbf23eccee289a593036d4c19.jpg

Slide4.thumb.jpg.4c868673ada76a8340cde64d9e9b290b.jpg

Slide5.thumb.jpg.7aee597054fcc39010c50648300b167f.jpg

Advantages and disadvantages

The top 10 of most powerful houses should receive prestige, manpower bonuses and relation improvement, however, these houses will have a penalty for aggressive expansion, population stability and subject liberty desire. 

I am not an expert on this. So what could be added in addition ? I will add any of your suggestions (except not royal marriage, it's too complex)

Have a good day 👍

To better balance this mechanics dynamically, it is worth introducing two things:

1) "Unity of the House". The more a state is ruled by a single dynasty, the lower the basic level of Unity of the House. If there are several states that do not differ much in strength (especially if not one of them is a Great Power), then the Unity of the House falls even faster. Relationships also matter. You can increase the level of unity by dominating a particular country over others in economic terms, by improving relations or by spending legacy points on a solution. If the Unity of the House is high, states with the same dynasty enter into wars with each other and slightly reduce the "Republican Zeal" (more on this below). If the Unity of the House is low, welcome to the constant wars for the throne/inheritance and unrest.

2) "Republican Zeal". A patch to balance monarchies and reflect a historical trend. When certain dates/technologies are reached and with low stability in the state / low "Unity of the House", the indicator "Republican Zeal" will grow, which will contribute to a regime change to republican in the process of faction struggle in parliament or during the revolution.

Read more about the mentioned faction struggle here

On 8/2/2024 at 10:27 AM, Wayne23lololh said:

Each leader has a birth date and a death date. The death date could vary from 2 to 5 years, for more diversity. Or the death date should be the same, up to you.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(This will work for every type of government.)

I love this idea, I think I have a topic on it. Probably deleted

15 hours ago, Das Moss Man said:

I love this idea, I think I have a topic on it. Probably deleted

I just put your topic link there lol

Maybe personal unions would be more easy to add than dynasties ?