Age of History 3

Posted (edited)

Hello my vassals and my fellow lords, today we are talking about mercenaries and them rising up. Now before we get into the meat of this manuscript, I hope you enjoy. Now lets us begin.

Hiring

There will be tab in the recruitment section which has mercenaries. Now I will give you two ways to do this and you will decide which one you like more. Hiring from companies or regular simple hiring. Lets start with hiring from companies, clicking the mercenary tab you'll see mercenary groups. (Examples: Wagner, Swiss Guard). And choose one and soon the army give chosen will arrive in your capitol for you to order. Now the simple one, hire mercenaries in the mercenary tab they'll cost more. But won't cost manpower. (Probably how it is already)

Revolting

Now we get to interesting part, revolts. Depending on how many mercenary divisions you have compared to your regular divisions. Lets say 70% mercenary 30% regular, the more there is chance of rebellion. So if your whole army is mercenaries there is very very high chance they revolt. See Mamluks. And if you can't pay them there is also a high chance of them revolting. And forming a junta, and if it takes all your territory it will take over your state taking your name and replacing the government. While you sit in exile

And that is the end my lords and vassals. 

Give da criticism pls :-Þ

Edited by Das Moss Man

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Das Moss Man said:

Thanks for the inspo @OwnM3Z0

np, there are a TON of interesting Mercenaries for each region, i think There should be a topic about region specific mercenary bands like the mamluks Only existing specifically in muslim non turkic land or the swiss guard only existing in the papal states and HRE territory, maybe even some AI generated merc groups could be sprinkled in with the ability for some to collapse creating this market of competition where mercenary companies will try their best to win you over, sometimes giving you discounts if you use alot of their competiton mercenary troops, making you choose between cheap troops and high quality troops 

Edited by OwnM3Z0

4 hours ago, OwnM3Z0 said:

np, there are a TON of interesting Mercenaries for each region, i think There should be a topic about region specific mercenary bands like the mamluks Only existing specifically in muslim non turkic land or the swiss guard only existing in the papal states and HRE territory, maybe even some AI generated merc groups could be sprinkled in with the ability for some to collapse creating this market of competition where mercenary companies will try their best to win you over, sometimes giving you discounts if you use alot of their competiton mercenary troops, making you choose between cheap troops and high quality troops 

I like the competition idea, and I have something adjacent to to the region idea troops ship over to you if they're in Egypt they will move over to you. I love your ideas 😛 😛 😛

Posted (edited)

hire mercenaries from another country

To hire mercenaries from a desired country, you need to have with it more than 30 diplomatic points. It will be a trade, so it will be temporary (or not, it will vary according to the contract).

Colonial mercenaries

Colonial countries can hire mercenaries in their colonies, while making them unable to create an army. They will cost less than regular mercenaries, because they are in colonies.

Mercenaries in occupied territories

In case of when a country needs more soldiers and occupies more than 20% of the enemy's territory, then it can "hire" mercenaries there. It will cost more than regular mercenaries. It will be more effective when the invaders create provisional governments in the occupied lands.

How it could affect diplomatic relations 

Spying to another country will also bring military information like how much military bases are constructed, how many mercenaries they are, war plans (talk about this later) and where they are from. The last one is the most important because they don't appear out of nowhere, they are surely from a country. For example, if I take the Swiss guard in the Vatican, the country of origin of these guards and the Vatican will have improved diplomatic relations, at least they are well treated, or it will degrade. 

When any country catches the enemy having mercenaries and where they come from, diplomatic relations between the country of origin of the mercenaries and your country will be damaged, downgrading by 35 points (insult). If the diplomatic relations downgrade to -60, then the country will declare war on the country of origin of the mercenaries.

Any comments @Das Moss Man and @OwnM3Z0?

Edited by Wayne23lololh

Posted (edited)

It's a great concept, but it makes no sense for the ayyubids for example to be dragged into a war with the abbasids because the seljuks used mamluks in a war with them, i think the last part kinda makes no sense because mercenaries historically operated independent from the government, so i think it makes more sense that INDIVIDUAL mercenary groups can be at war with civilizations, for example:

An Andalusi Taifa is using slavic mercenaries against Castile in a war, Upon said war starting, instead of dragging the balkans into the war, the slavic mercenary group will have it's own independent diplomacy tab where it says who they're at war with (castile in this case) who they're working for, and who they have high relations with (maybe for working as mercs for said friendly countries allies and doing good in the war or maybe from previous work with them) either way, mercenary groups will always have a higher chance of accepting to work for a civ they have high relations with (maybe even offering discounts based on how high the relation is), especially the strong ones, making getting strong proper mercenaries like the mamluks complicated since they won't work for anyone and are much more effective, organized, well equipped and experienced than some ragtag local company with 200 soldiers

Edited by OwnM3Z0

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, OwnM3Z0 said:

It's a great concept, but it makes no sense for the ayyubids for example to be dragged into a war with the abbasids because the seljuks used mamluks in a war with them, i think the last part kinda makes no sense because mercenaries historically operated independent from the government, so i think it makes more sense that INDIVIDUAL mercenary groups can be at war with civilizations, for example:

An Andalusi Taifa is using slavic mercenaries against Castile in a war, Upon said war starting, instead of dragging the balkans into the war, the slavic mercenary group will have it's own independent diplomacy tab where it says who they're at war with (castile in this case) who they're working for, and who they have high relations with (maybe for working as mercs for said friendly countries allies and doing good in the war or maybe from previous work with them) either way, mercenary groups will always have a higher chance of accepting to work for a civ they have high relations with (maybe even offering discounts based on how high the relation is), especially the strong ones, making getting strong proper mercenaries like the mamluks complicated since they won't work for anyone and are much more effective, organized, well equipped and experienced than some ragtag local company with 200 soldiers

Mercenary groups could even go to war when they're NOT hired (maybe the civ didn't pay them or they have bad relations with them due to preforming bad in a previous war) and establish their own state on the lands they capture like the mamluks did, but i think such feature should only be exclusive to muslim mercenary groups since historically it never happened outside the muslim world 

33 minutes ago, Wayne23lololh said:

because why would colonies have a independent army, it's not logical

also it is actually pretty logical and aligned with history, colonies were too far to just send troops whenever trouble happens, there would usually be garrisoned troops inside the colony itself for when war happens to fight as soon as possible, maybe even local colonial troops (which could be an exclusive feature for the british raj)

Edited by OwnM3Z0

7 hours ago, OwnM3Z0 said:

I like the idea, of mercenaries having their own diplomacy thumbs up