Age of History 3
MisterT

The Reality About Age of History 3

So... Already a week ago, Lukasz enlightened us with a one hour gameplay of AOH3, along with what we were all waiting for: The release date.

(I consider it was a bit unexpected, but I'm not complaining).

However, what I wanted to come to talk about in today's post, is something that probably many people have in mind, as well as many people don't, and that's about the content, mechanics and other things that will NOT come with the game when it's released. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean that I have access to the game and I know exactly what will and won't come with it, I just want to lower expectations, since there is a part of the community that has VERY high expectations.

- The ideas and the implementation of these -

Since the first direct look at AOH3, the ideas have been pouring in, from simple things like more governments to totally new mechanics that have never been seen directly in any other Grand strategy game. 

The community is aware of how much Lukasz is present in this forum and the many ideas he has read, that's why many believe that many of these ideas will come with the base game, which is PROBABLY not going to happen. 

That means that having spent hours on the computer or cell phone, writing, editing and even drawing, was in vain? Actually, no. Let's not forget that AOH3 will still receive updates and considering the amount of future content that Lukasz can extract just from reading a couple of ideas, it's likely that the game can be kept updated for years, so don't lose hope because of the lack of ideas in the first public version of the game, because it's normal.

- The AI, Border Gore and other AOH2 problems -

I'm pretty sure that almost everyone in the community knows what “Border Gore” is, because in AOH2 it is very common for the AI to take certain provinces that make the map look unrealistic and uncomfortable for some players. Now, is this going to be fixed in AOH3? Probably not, or at least, not for now. Anyone who has seen the last video of AOH3, will know that at the end of it, the “Border Gore” factor is in fact still very present, although this, similar to AOH2 could be half solved by lowering the Ai Aggresiveness and since Lukasz gave us an improved Sandbox, it could also be solved almost completely with this one.

Will the AI still be as incompetent? I don't want to get anyone's hopes up with this, as it's my personal take, but (at least I think) the AI will actually be somewhat more difficult to deal with, making the game challenging and more entertaining.

Other problems of AOH2 that we are not sure (or at least I am not) if they will be solved are: Vassals rejecting peace proposals from their lord, sudden changes in the leader of a certain alliance, the AI rejecting your alliance if you are at war with a civilization they are also at war with, the AI forming civilizations they should not form (for example: the German empire forming the weimar republic) and so on.

- The reality -

Probably many of us were expecting a HOI5, a Victoria 4 or a Europa Universalis 5, but Lukasz is a single developer and we have to understand that he has a life and other things to spend time on as well. 

This game may not be the eighth wonder, but it is an undeniable fact that AOH3 is simply the best product Lukasz has given us and it is a love letter to his community and Grand Strategy Games.

The passion, love and time that Lukasz has invested is the best we can have in a long time, so I personally ask the community to keep their expectations low, not because it will be a bad game, but because they expect things that only time will give us. Other things I ask that even if you don't like the game, don't go to attack Lukasz in any way, don't try to pirate the game and if somehow you will do it, as Hakita said, you can support the game if you spread it by your word, because “culture shouldn't exist only for those who can afford it”.

- Bye Bye -

I guess that's all I wanted to say about the game, and I know, I disappeared for a couple of months, but I've had problems and my phone broke, so I couldn't enter the forum for a while. Maybe I'll still post the Trade and Peace Teatry ideas I had, but it's going to be a while for that. 

That's all for now, guys. Good afternoon, good evening, and good night.

Great post, I agree with a lot of what you said. AOH3 is already shaping up to be massive game - bigger than what should be expected of a single developer. There's a lot of "yeah cool but what if" ideas floating around that don't seem to acknowledge of the magnitude of AOH3 so far.

Good points. I think that poor AI will be the main problem of the game that Lukasz should pay a lot of attention to solve it. 
For example, Lukasz may reduce the radius of declaring wars for AI or make it possible for them to only take the closest provinces to the main territory so that there are no esclaves.

In any case, the most important thing now is to focus on the number of different mechanics like "send volunteers", etc. And on the AI so that it actually does interesting things

4 minutes ago, S_Kirov said:

Good points. I think that poor AI will be the main problem of the game that Lukasz should pay a lot of attention to solve it. 
For example, Lukasz may reduce the radius of declaring wars for AI or make it possible for them to only take the closest provinces to the main territory so that there are no esclaves.

In any case, the most important thing now is to focus on the number of different mechanics like "send volunteers", etc. And on the AI so that it actually does interesting things

the game is STILL IN ALPHA, NOT EVEN BETA, NOT EVEN RELEASED YET TECHNICALLY, THE GAME IS STILL RAW LITERALLY

2 hours ago, Unity said:

Just like aoc2 was left

Aoc2 had alot of reasons for being abandoned, for one the code was terrible (something AOH3 has fixed), secondly the piracy had made the game make too little profits (something lukasz said he will work on), so the game is unlikely to suffer the same fate as aoc2 for multiple reasons, lukasz clearly put alot of effort into it, way more than he did with aoc2, also the game has a bigger community, lastly lukasz (like any human being) probably needs the money lol

52 minutes ago, OwnM3Z0 said:

Aoc2 had alot of reasons for being abandoned, for one the code was terrible (something AOH3 has fixed), secondly the piracy had made the game make too little profits (something lukasz said he will work on), so the game is unlikely to suffer the same fate as aoc2 for multiple reasons, lukasz clearly put alot of effort into it, way more than he did with aoc2, also the game has a bigger community, lastly lukasz (like any human being) probably needs the money lol

I still Don't trust that he'll just go silent for 3 to 4 years again after 

3 minutes ago, Unity said:

I still Don't trust that he'll just go silent for 3 to 4 years again after 

he can't do that, he's already gone all in with AOH3, lukasz is smart enough to know that would be a career suicide

As member since AOH 1 days, all I can say is don't expect nothing no future updates after release not finished product just do not cope, from the looks of it aoh3 will have tons of issues, I didn't even saw formable nations... Big downsizing for me but it is what it is just enjoy what you have...

6 hours ago, eNeXPii said:

As member since AOH 1 days, all I can say is don't expect nothing no future updates after release not finished product just do not cope, from the looks of it aoh3 will have tons of issues, I didn't even saw formable nations... Big downsizing for me but it is what it is just enjoy what you have...

It might seem crazy what I'm about to say

8 hours ago, eNeXPii said:

Bro who say there is no formable nations ? Lukasz never said it, and there is even a video about it.

2 hours ago, Guguge said:

It might seem crazy what I'm about to say

this aged well, like 6 hours

Love baseless assumptions

Edited by Guguge
My bad, assumptions ARE thing that people think as true without proof, just wanted to put baseless in there as the main point of the sentence

Guys i love AOH2 even with the tons of issues it has, I just wished before Lukasz did more thats why I'm not coping... Still love the game, and as I said i didn't saw, not Lukasz didn't show but i summon him to release a video atleast 😄